Skip to main content

Christian Methodist Episcopal

Department of Christian Education

Home  Overview  Leadership  Ministries  Events  eLearning  eStore  Links  Contact Us  Site Map  Member Login   
CME Church
Methodist
Ecumenical
Education Institutions
C.M.E. Affiliated Educational Institutions

Lane College

Lane is located in Jackson, Tennessee, on approximately 40 acres. Lane College is a small, private, co-educational, church-related institution which provides a liberal arts curriculum leading to baccalaureate degrees in the Arts and Sciences. The College admits persons regardless of color, sex, religion or national origin.
The future of Lane is intimately tied to its historic past. The College was founded by individuals who were committed to assuring that newly freed slaves would be able to "read, write, and speak correctly." The vocational goals of the first students to enroll at the College were in the areas of teaching and preaching. It was the view of the founders that neither group would be able to influence the more learned individuals in [Library and Learning Center] society unless they had academic, spiritual, cultural, and economic qualifications that were equal to their counterparts.  Click here for more information...


Miles College

In 1896, Miles College was founded by the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, now the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (C.M.E.) and chartered by the State of Alabama in 1905 as Miles Memorial College to educate African-American young people. The college is still supported by and affiliated with the CME Church, although the faculty and student body represent many religions and cultures, national and international.  For over 100 years of survival in a difficult environment, Miles College has held steadfast in its goal of providing a quality college education while challenging and molding the minds of future leaders. During our centennial celebration, we observed our rich heritage as Metropolitan Birmingham’s only senior Historically Black College and the impact it has made in the lives of more than 8,000 alumni of Miles College including two mayors of Birmingham, judges, physicians, business leaders, legislators and teachers.  Click here for more information...


Paine College

Paine College is a beautiful 57-acre campus located in the heart of Augusta, Georgia. At Paine College, we are blessed with access to important cultural and economic centers. The campus is located one hour away from Columbia, the capital of South Carolina, and it is an easy two-hour drive from Atlanta, the capital of Georgia.  The Mission of Paine College, a church-related private institution, is to provide a liberal arts education of the highest quality that emphasizes academic excellence, ethical and spiritual values, social responsibility, and personal development to prepare men and women for positions of leadership and service in the African American community, the nation, and the world.  Over the next five years, Paine College shall build on its achievements and legacy to be regionally recognized as a premier liberal arts institution of higher education.  Click here for more information...


Texas College

Texas College, a historically black college providing a liberal arts education for 114 years, exists to help people succeed by assisting them in developing their skills and their self-confidence, as well as enlarging their perspectives on life. We are dedicated to providing citizens of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds with the opportunity for life-long learning.

Texas College believes in motivating our students, urging them to be active in setting and achieving their goals. Students are encouraged to utilize all of our facilities; to seek extra help from our faculty; and to converse with our counselors and other dedicated staff members.  Click here for more information...


Phillips School of Theology

The Phillips School of Theology was founded on May 30, 1944, by the action of the Lane College Board of Trustees in Jackson, Tennessee, under the leadership of Bishop J. Arthur Hamlett and Bishop C. H. Phillips.  While the formal Founders' Day Service was on December 12, 1944, the school's academic program began on January 2, 1945, with the enrollment of eighteen (18) students and seven professors.  The purpose of the school was to train ministers and other religious workers for the Christian (then known as Colored) Methodist Episcopal Church and other religious bodies.  Dr. Joseph A. Johnson, Jr. (elected in 1966 as the 34th Bishop of the CME Church was elected dean of the school in 1945 and served until 1954.  The 1950 General Conference of the CME Church decided to make Phillips School of Theology, a Connectional school.  This placed Phillips with the other five (5) CME schools in the sharing of the general Church's educational financial appropriations.  Click here for more information...